Friday 22 April 2016

A woman

I am a woman and I am being told not to be a feminist. I am said to be different because I am supporting the rights of a woman. Do you think the damages behind what you are saying? I already live in a patriarchal society that pushes the woman down because they go like, ''omg a woman can't lead, she can't do this or that because women simply don't do that.'' Am I not being judged for being the opposite gender? Trying to find my own place while trying to uplift others who find they depend on men, that is a fat big no. They can support you but you do not depend on any man to show your worth.

Can't being go out alone in the night for a walk because I can be attacked by any man who is hungry of his lust. Is this what you want me to go through? I have my inner and outer struggles as well, thank you world for being that way. If a woman is poor, she is regarded in a different way, if she is from the middle class, she is put in a pedestal where she is questioned but if she is rich, she can do things without having to give any sort of explanation. Why not give the power to each woman equally? Or try to see all as one? Being a woman is tough because I always have to be there and see how a man is being admired as the strong gender, I agree he is strong physically but most of the times, I can walk on the same path with him and do better.

It is never ending for I see young girls being taught to just cook and be docile. They are never taught to be fierce to compete with this discrimination which will always teach them to be behind and not ahead. Most of the posts or talks I see is, ''respect her because she is somebody's mother, sister or daughter.'' How misogynistic of you! Isn't she a human being like you first of all? But you were taught to see her as somebody has some other identity before and then a human being. I do not blame you but this is why feminism is needed as we do have our rights but we had to fight for them to get them recognized in your eyes.

Also as they say, the truth is infront of your eyes but we have to rub in your eyes for things to work out. It is surprising how when a woman succeeds, people are stunned. We are humans like you, humans. Women are being sold as sex slaves, some of them are victims of the domestic violence and others are being raped but can't speak out for they do not have the support for when a woman speaks out of her agony, ''she brings disgrace to the family''. And this is how it has been since the beginning for a woman's word has no value and you tell me, feminism isn't needed? Who will speak out for us? I am being put aside because I am a woman.

I am being judged by the way I dress, if I wear short clothes, I am judged. If I wear a scarf, I am judged and if I cover myself up completely, I am judged. I never saw the opposite gender supporting us that much and this is why I stand up for myself and I am going to show that a woman is not a showcase to be placed in the house but she can go out and be a free person. A 22 year old paralysed woman was raped by a staff member in PIMS, now tell me that her clothes were revealing. Some men are so disgusting and I am a woman who is watching everything but will speak out. It isn't about the god damn clothing but the mentality that is sick.

After wearing the abaya full time for some months, I put it in my mind that men won't be staring anymore but they still do so it is from my own experience that I am speaking. We always have the eyes on us and are being ogled. WHY? Because I am a woman and we do not speak about it openly because it is considered as taboo. It is not going to be the case anymore because when I can see how I can't even say things at all and it is high time that the shackles have to change. Raise from what you have been taught that a woman will be doing all my household chores because I am a man, consider her as your human fellow.

And finally I am a woman who is being oppressed and that is why I will teach and empower other woman to believe that they are much more than what they think they are for a woman gives birth, raises her children, gives comfort to anybody and is what you are scared to give power because most of the time, she does better than you for she is a woman, a gentle being but fierce when you snatch her rights that she always have to remind you of. She is a woman that according to the religion of Islam, heaven lies under her feet when she is your mother. She is a woman that you look down to but she will raise, she will. I will make her raise for I am a woman like her.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with every single word written there. Been there. Felt that. I just want to thank you for speaking out loud about this.

    ReplyDelete